Do I like him? No, can't stand him as a matter of fact. He is, however, clearly the top dog in WWE and has already accomplished a hell of a lot. There's really nothing Cena hasn't done yet. I anxiously await a heel turn though at some point.
Anyhow, here's how I look at Cena from a pros and cons standpoint:
- Undeniable passion for the business, no one cares more about the WWE or the industry than John Cena.
- Solid worker, I'm not a workrate guy by any stretch, but he's more than passable in the ring. Has solid matches.
- Sells a ton of merchandise, every arena he goes to looks like a big bowl of Fruity Pebbles (thanks Rock).
- Kids love him, see above, every kid wants the shirts, the hats, the sweatbands.
- Great guy, does a lot of work with the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
- Inconsistent character, he's all about Hustle, Loyalty and Respect, but they've had him do some really questionable and out-of-character things lately. AA-ing The Rock for example.
- Annoying character, he comes off as smarmy and like nothing really matters
- Inconsistent promos, kind of a hybrid of the two previous cons. He comes off as smug and tries to hard to be cutesy. His feuds suffer due to this.
- Dated look, buddy looks like he popped right of Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch's "Good Vibrations" video. Jorts and underwear showing? In 2011? No way, man.
I promise, the next edition will be someone that's less obvious. I figured I'd get Mr. Cena out of the way though.